TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Uptown Greenville Board of Directors
STATUS: Full Time/Salary with Commission Structure
HOURS: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm. Some evening and weekend work required
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
– Manage and coordinate all aspects of Uptown Greenville’s annual work plan/program.
– Prepare and recommend annual plans and operating budgets to the Board for approval.
– Oversee the organization’s finances – Work in the parameters set forth in the budget approved by the Board of Directors.
– Ensure compliance with all aspects of the organization’s contract with the City of Greenville, Vidant and other chief stakeholders.
– Assure adherence to these plans – Maintain all organizational records, Provide the Board with monthly management reports/operating statements/program analyses, Maintain timely responses.
– Raise funds through grants/fundraising for the organization.
– Oversee the organization’s administrative office including supervising personnel and interns.
– Work/maintain relationships with representatives from The City of Greenville including the City Manager, Executive staff, and City Council representatives, as well as several partner organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce, Greenville ENC Alliance, Pitt County Development Commission, the Pitt County Arts Council, the Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, East Carolina University, and Vidant Medical Center.
– Increase memberships in Organization.
– Work/maintain relationships with members, stakeholders, business owners and property owners in the District, specifically by face to face interaction.
– Work with local press and media to promote Uptown Greenville and the efforts of the organization.
– Schedule and facilitate Executive Board and Full Board meetings – including setting the agenda and communicating reports.
– Coordinate all communication functions including responding to board members, district stakeholders, media and other inquiries, and writing annual reports, newsletters, and member bulletins and meetings.
– Develop yearly marketing plan for the District, emphasizing on marketing the district to residents and regionally to drive business.
– Execute an annual event for stakeholders and perspective donors once per year with a program and yearly report.
Economic Development & Growth:
– Proactively engages with companies to create a business environment conducive to growth and expansion in the City.
– Executes initiatives and activities to facilitate local business attraction, expansion, and retention, including incentive awareness, conducting business evaluations/surveys, and providing general economic development assistance.
– Performs economic development and support work to broaden the City’s retail, commercial, and industrial base.
– Prepares reports on economic development and redevelopment activities for advisory boards, and City Council.
– Influences and builds relationships with prospects, consultants, company decision
makers, and media information sources; solicits development proposals from private development companies; establishes and strengthens relationships with local businesses.
– Maintains beautification program; works with committee to implement short and long term goals. Short-Term Goals:
– Relocate existing planters
– Design and install “Welcome to Greenville” and “Eat, shop, play, invest” window clings on available properties
– Design and install “Welcome to Greenville” light pole banners along the Greene St and Pitt St bridges
– Replace missing light pole banners along 1st St
– Uniform trashcans with useful locations throughout the district
– Replant planter boxes and develop a maintenance schedule
– Cohesive bike racks in convenient locations
– Additional string lights in impactful locations
– Pressure washing and gum removal along downtown sidewalks and curbs, prioritizing high- traffic blocks
– Volunteer litter pickup program, working alongside already existing relationship such as Sanitary Sunday
– Explore median improvements
– Tree grates and benches for the BUILD grant streetscape project
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
1. Previous experience at a main street/downtown development organization preferred
2. Bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Communications, or Business Marketing required
3. Adobe Creative Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook at an intermediate skill level required
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE-BASED SKILLS:
1. Principles, procedures and strategies of economic development in a government environment, demographic economic trends, and forecasting.
2. Budget development and management.
3. Grant writing and fundraising.
5. Marketing and research methods, principles and procedures.
6. Public relations, copy writing and press releases.
7. Project management.
ADDITIONAL SKILL SETS REQUIRED:
1. Writing, speaking and listening
2. Public speaking/ Communicate effectively with a wide array of constituent groups
3. Time management
4. Relationship building, interpersonal skills
5. Problem solving and decision making
6. Research, data and trend analysis related to economic development
7. Event management experience working with high level government officials
8. Provide group facilitation
9. Work under pressurized deadlines
1. Occasionally performs bending, squatting, sorting, kneeling, and reaching to ground level and overhead for such tasks as retrieving a box of brochures
2. Occasionally lifts, grasps, carries, pushes or pulls up to 40 pounds
3. Ability to climb stairs and walk considerable steps in one day
4. Must be able to hold or grip objects
5. Valid Driver’s License and personal vehicle
Salary range $60K-$70K with commission based bonuses. 5% of all new yearly Donor contracts. Bonuses based off: any new contracts, memberships, grants and fundraising not pertaining to events or existing contracts.
ABOUT GREENVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA:
Greenville, North Carolina is located in the Coastal Plain of North Carolina and is a thriving city with a population of 95,000. Home to East Carolina University, the Greenville-Pitt County MSA is widely recognized as the thriving cultural, educational, economic, and medical hub of Eastern North Carolina. To learn more about Greenville-Pitt County visit www.visitgreenvillenc.com.
If interested, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 9th at 5:00pm.
Uptown Greenville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.